Arrival, sharing life, munching snacks.
SESSION 6 - GROUP VIDEO
Watch 10-20 minutes of a GROUP video teaching, that correlates with the full Workshop semester topics.
GROUP CONVERSATION GUIDE
STORY: PASTOR’S FIRST PASTORATE IN POST, TEXAS
- Did that really happen?
- Was the outcome a coincidence, or was it causal to the activated authority?
- Did God want me to be a mere puppet for His predetermined plans, or was God requiring a partnership to accomplish His plans?
DELEGATIONS OF AUTHORITY THROUGH REDEMPTION:
- THE GREAT COMMISSION
- THE KINGDOM
- THE GRACE OF GOD
- RAISED TO SIT WITH JESUS
- THE NAME OF JESUS
NAMES TELL A STORY (FAMOUS NAMES)
- Mannings (Archie, Peyton, Eli) - Football
- Cole – (Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole) – Singing
- Eastwood – (Clint, Scott) – Acting
- Steve Jobs – (Apple) Creativity, Entrepreneurialism
- Bill Gates – (Microsoft – Business) Massive amounts of money / Rockefeller’s
- Abraham – Father of a multitude
- Paul – Humble or little
REVIEW PREVIOUS SESSIONS:
Does God use human agency to fulfill His purposes?
Does God arbitrarily dictate outcomes via His sovereign determination?
DOES EVERY CHRISTIAN POSSESS
THE RIGHT AND PRIVILEGE
OF SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY?
WHAT DO WE HAVE AUTHORITY OVER?
Ask the question, “What did Jesus demonstrate authority over?”
- Inanimate objects (Fig tree)
- Weather (Jesus spoke to the wind)
- Protection (I have power to lay my life down and take it up again)
- Material resources (fish with coins, upper rooms, donkeys, fish and loaves, wine)
JOHN 14:12-14 KJV Verily, verily, I say unto you, HE THAT BELIEVETH ON ME, the works that I do shall HE DO ALSO; and GREATER WORKS than these shall he do; BECAUSE I GO UNTO MY FATHER. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ASK IN MY NAME, that will I do, that the FATHER MAY BE GLORIFIED(God is glorified when we use His authority) in the Son. 14 If ye shall ASK (enforcing justice, demanding as Jesus’ representation) ANY THING in MY NAME, I WILL DO IT.
MORE EXCELLENT NAME
PHILIPPIANS 2:9-11 NKJV 9 Therefore God also has HIGHLY EXALTED HIM and given Him the NAME WHICH IS ABOVE EVERY NAME, 10 that AT THE NAME OF JESUS every KNEE SHOULD BOW, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and [that] EVERY TONGUE SHOULD CONFESS that JESUS CHRIST [IS] LORD, TO THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER.
HEBREWS 1:4 NKJV …[Jesus] having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained A MORE EXCELLENT NAME than they.
NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES
EPHESIANS 1:20-23 NKJV …which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and SEATED [HIM] AT HIS RIGHT HAND in the heavenly [places], 21 FAR ABOVE all PRINCIPALITY and POWER (exousia – authority) and MIGHT(dynamis – power) and DOMINION (kyriotes – governments, rulers), AND EVERY NAME THAT IS NAMED, not only in this age but also in that which is to come. 22 And He put all [things] UNDER HIS FEET, and gave Him [to be] HEAD OVER ALL [THINGS] to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.
SALVATION IN THE NAME
ACTS 2:16, 21 NKJV (Peter said) But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ... 21 And it shall come to pass [That] WHOEVER calls on the NAME OF THE LORD Shall be SAVED.'
MIRACLE-HEALING IN THE NAME
ACTS 3:2, 6-8, 11-12, 16 NKJV And a certain MAN LAME from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; ... 6 Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth, RISE UP AND WALK." 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted [him] up, and immediately his FEET AND ANKLE BONES RECEIVED STRENGTH. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. ... 11 Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon's, greatly amazed. 12 So when Peter saw [it], he responded to the people: "Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently AT US, as though by OUR OWN POWER or GODLINESS we had made this man walk? ... 16 "And HIS NAME, through FAITH IN HIS NAME, has MADE THIS MAN STRONG, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which [comes] through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
ACTS 4:7-8, 10, 12 NKJV And when they (rulers, elders and scribes) had set them (Peter and John) in the midst, they asked, "By what POWER or by what NAME have you done this?" 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: ... 10 "let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the NAME OF JESUS Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. ... 12 "Nor is there SALVATION in any other, for there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we must be SAVED."
DO CHRISTIANS, THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST,
HAVE THE RIGHT AND THE PRIVELEGES
TO USE THE NAME OF JESUS?
GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Take a few moments to discuss your answers to these questions with the Group.
What is the most thoughtful gift you’ve ever received?
MY MEMOIR STORIES
IMPORTANT: If the Group would like to continue telling one Memoir Story per week until they are completed, that might allow for a more congruent transition. Please be sensitive to the Science of Freedom content and discussion. It is important that our people are exposed to the possibilities in their potential that this content will provide. Please take no more than 20-25 minutes for the Memoir to leave time for the rest of the content below.
MEMOIR: PREPARING TO TELL MY STORY (Scope Timeline) worksheet to help you think through your story. You can download the SCOPE TIMELINE WORKSHEET at the link. There is a longer version of the worksheet, that gives an extra step to dig deeper into your story, which can be downloaded at LONG VERSION WORKSHEET (RECOMMENDED). You can also watch the WRAP UP video from last week that explains how to use the worksheet. Each person's Memoir should be 10-15 minutes long.
- After watching this session’s video, what is your biggest takeaway, “ah ha” moment, or challenging thought? Why?
- Pastor Patrick opens the session with a story of his first Pastorate and taking authority over demonic influences that was impacting his board of directors. When he used Jesus’ name to command the demonic influences to stop, did God use human agency to fulfill His purposes, or did God already have a sovereign predetermination of what would happen? Did Pastor simply play a “puppet roll”, or did her activation of spiritual authority change an outcome?
- What feelings or thoughts do you have when you consider that you have been given Jesus’ name to represent Christ, the Kingdom of God and God’s plans in the earth? Describe what it means to you?
SESSION 6 - WRAP UP
This is a 5-10 minute section for MOVING FORWARD, GOING DEEPER, use of worksheets and periodic church-wide announcements.
Receive the challenge to “move forward” by applying what was learned this week.
- IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, PREPARE TO TELL YOUR STORY, your MEMOIR, to the rest of us over the next few weeks. Use the MY MEMOIR: PREPARING TO TELL MY STORY (Scope Timeline) worksheet to help you think through your story. You can download the SCOPE TIMELINE WORKSHEET. There is a longer version of the worksheet, that gives an extra step to dig deeper into your story, which can be downloaded at LONG VERSION WORKSHEET (RECOMMENDED).
- PRAY FOR GROUP MEMBER - Pray for at least one person in the Group. Try to identify someone who hasn't been prayed for, or given an encouraging Scripture. Don't worry about feeling inadequate as a prayer. No one feels like they are professional prayers, at least not when they look into eyes of the Almighty God. Praying the Scriptures over people is the best way to learn how to pray effectively. Simply find a Scripture, put the person's name in the text, and pray those words out loud. Then ask the Lord to help you think of things to say to Him about them that would help their lives.
- ASK FOR A SCRIPTURE WORD - Ask God to give you a Scripture to give them to encourage, comfort and edify them. You can Google search "God's Promises" and find a plethora of appropriate texts. Look for one that seems to give you a spark of energy as you think about the person you have been praying for.
- DELIVER THE WORD TO THEM - Then send them an email, text or phone call to encourage them. This is how the Holy Spirit works in our lives. As you practice these movements you will expand your own capacity with God, all while giving people much needed hope and strength.
Encouragement to engage the FULL WORKSHOP SEMESTER experience. While this is not required, nor is the Group discussions connected to the full workshop, it is an option for everyone.
PRAYER / DISMISS GROUP
Prayer time with the Group.